Toggle Contrast

Reporting a Concern

If you think a child or young person is being harmed or is at risk of being harmed, this section will offer guidance on how to raise your concerns.

If you think a child or young person is being harmed or is at risk of being harmed then you must contact Children Social Work Services and tell them your concerns.

You can report your concerns to Solihull Children’s Social Work Services by calling the MASH Team on 0121 788 4300.

Alternatively you can contact the NSPCC on 0808 800 5000 or report your concerns on line via the ‘Report child abuse online by clicking here

If you need to report concerns out of office hours then please contact the Emergency Duty Team (EDT) on 0121 605 6060

If you think a child is in immediate danger, call the emergency services on 999.

When making a referral you can choose to remain anonymous however it is helpful if you can advise us of your name and how you can be contacted in case we need to check anything out with you at a later stage. It may be possible that the child and his/her family can identify who contacted us based on the information you have provided however we will not share that information if you have asked us not to do so.

As much information as you can provide about the child/young person will help us including name, age, address, who lives at the home including other children and details of school or nursery. However if you do not have all of this information it should not stop you contacting us.

You should always contact us if you are worried a child or young person is at risk of abuse or neglect

What can I do if I am a child or young person who is being abused or neglected?

ChildLine is a free, confidential helpline for all children and young people in the UK. You can call at any time of day or night, and talk about any problem. Just pick up a phone and dial 0800 1111.

The lines can be very busy, so if you can’t get through at first keep trying.

You can also phone the Solihull MASH Team on 0121 788 4300.

You can also write to ChildLine if you prefer, and one of the counsellors will reply to your letter. This is also free, and you don’t have to use a stamp. Write to:

ChildLine, Freepost NATN1111, London, E1 6BR

You can also ring the NSPCC helpline on 0808 800 5000.

What can I do if I work with children and I have a concern about child abuse?

As a person who works (paid or unpaid) with children and young people, you have a duty to refer any concerns you may have regarding the welfare of a child or young person in accordance with Solihull Safeguarding Children Partnership Multi-Agency Procedures.

You must refer your concerns to Solihull Children’s Social Work Services using the multi-agency referral form below and if you are concerned about the immediate safety of a child or young person you should contact the Police on 999

You can access the Multi-agency referral form by clicking here

The MASH Team can be contacted on 0121 788 4300

There is more information available for practitioners and volunteers on this website

What to do if you are concerned about someone who works with or is in a position of trust with children and young people in Solihull 

If you wish to make an allegation against people who work with children who are paid, unpaid, volunteers, casual, agency or anyone self employed, then you should contact the Local Authority Designated Officer (LADO) as soon as possible in cases in which it is alleged that a person who works with children has:

  • behaved in a way that has harmed, or may have harmed a child;
  • possibly committed a criminal offence against or related to a child; or
  • behaved towards a child or children in a way that indicates they may pose a risk of harm to children.

There may be up to three strands in the consideration of an allegation:

  • a police investigation of a possible criminal offence;
  • enquiries and assessment by children’s social care about whether a child is in need of protection or in need of services;
  • consideration by an employer of disciplinary action in respect of the individual.

The LADO is responsible for:

  • Providing advice, information and guidance to employers and voluntary organisations around allegations and concerns regarding paid and unpaid workers.
  • Managing and overseeing individual cases from all partner agencies.
  • Ensuring the child’s voice is heard and that they are safeguarded.
  • Ensuring there is a consistent, fair and thorough process for all adults working with children and young people against whom an allegation is made.
  • Monitoring the progress of cases to ensure they are dealt with as quickly as possible.
  • Recommending a referral and chairing the strategy meeting in cases where the allegation requires investigation by police and/or social care.

Local Authority Designated Officer: LADO: Kate Davies

The LADO service is based at:
Child Protection and Review Unit
Bluebell Centre
Chelmsley Wood
B37 5TN
B37 5EX (Sat Nav)

LADO referrals: should be made via
Telephone: 07795128638
Email:   (please put ‘LADO referral’ in subject line)


Position of Trust Referral Form